I thought Mac OS X comes with libpng pre-installed. It’s pretty clear that I was wrong after I failed to compile a game that uses libpng. The good thing about OS X is that, you can just use fink to easily install Unix/Linux binaries. However, the weird thing is, the game configuration still complains that libpng could not be found.
So I decided to install libpng from the source code. In case anyone of you out there who may face the same problem as me, you could do as what I describe below.
- Download the library source code from libpng.org.
- Untar it:
$ tar -xjvf libpng-1.2.8.tar.bz2
- Go into the libpng-1.2.8 directory, and copy the makefile.darwin out
`$ cd libpng-1.2.8<br />
$ cp scripts/makefile.darwin makefile
4. Run make:$ make` (It’s gonna take a while)
5. Install the compiled library into appropriate place:
`$ make install`
- Clean up the mess object files:
`$ make clean`
That’s it. The requirement, of which I should have mentioned earlier, to compile libpng is the zlib. I hope you have zlib installed first.