I know upgrading FreeBSD from 13.0 to 13.1 is so minor that it might not worth a blog post, right? The thing is, I just did this upgrade on one of my 2 nas servers a month ago, and now I forgot how to do this already.
This post will be short, and I will include the reference(s) at the end if you’d like to learn more about this.
- First check the current version of FreeBSD (I’m doing this live on my server):
root@nas2:~ # freebsd-version 13.0-RELEASE-p11
- Make sure to apply existing updates in the FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE-p11:
root@nas2:~ # freebsd-update fetch root@nas2:~ # freebsd-update install root@nas2:~ # pkg upgrade
- Upgrade the FreeBSD from 13.0 to 13.1
root@nas2:~ # freebsd-update upgrade -r 13.1-RELEASE
- Wait and periodically answer some questions. For example, here is one of them:
The following changes, which occurred between FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE and FreeBSD 13.1-RELEASE have been merged into /etc/group: --- current version +++ new version @@ -16,10 +16,12 @@ sshd:*:22: smmsp:*:25: mailnull:*:26: guest:*:31: video:*:44: +realtime:*:47: +idletime:*:48: bind:*:53: unbound:*:59: proxy:*:62: authpf:*:63: _pflogd:*:64: Does this look reasonable (y/n)? y ... <SNIP> ... # override default of no subsystems Does this look reasonable (y/n)? y To install the downloaded upgrades, run "/usr/sbin/freebsd-update install".
- Then run perform the installation by running the following command:
root@nas2:~ # freebsd-update install src component not installed, skipped Installing updates... Kernel updates have been installed. Please reboot and run "/usr/sbin/freebsd-update install" again to finish installing updates.
- Reboot the server per the given instruction.
root@nas2:~ # reboot Connection to nas2 closed by remote host. Connection to nas2 closed.
- Login to the server one more time to complete the installation.
root@nas2:~ # freebsd-update install src component not installed, skipped Installing updates...Scanning //usr/share/certs/blacklisted for certificates... Scanning //usr/share/certs/trusted for certificates... done. root@nas2:~ # freebsd-version 13.1-RELEASE